Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Part 29: Magikarps and a Badge

A sad sight of flolloping Magikarps meet my eyes when I reach it. I beat a few Galactic Grunts here and there, then go into the cave nearbye. Galactic Commander Mars is standing there, and he says more nonsense about wanting to change the world, ect.

I defeat him easily.

Rowan found me after the battle and directed me to check on Tim at Lake Acuity.

Josh let me know I would need an HM slave with Defog, Strength, and Rock Smash. I took out my Tropius I caught and taught it all those, plus cut. Oswald can already fly, so that's no problem. I went ahead and stored Belle for now until I reach the city.

I run into snow very quickly outside of the Mt. Coronet cave system. I trudge slowly through the snow, defeating a few trainers along the way and seeing a few new Pokemon, like Snover.

A small rest house is nearbye, so I head there, grateful to get in out of the blinding snow and wind.

THE FREAKIN' HAIL. OH MY GOD I GET IT ALREADY. WE'RE GOING TO BE BUFFETED BY THE HAIL. DO NOT HAVE TO TELL IT TO ME EVERY. SINGLE. TURN. JEEZ.

/rant.

I continue through the route, and suddenly, behind me, I hear a girl's voice.

"Donny!"

I turn and see Maylene run up to me. "Are you maybe on your way to Snowpoint City?"

Why else would I be trudging through this god-forsaken place?

I nod, and she smiles despit the cold. "That's where I'm going, too. If I use Fly, I can get there instantly, but I'm walking for my training."

Whoop-dee-do for you. I can't yet, but by god, the first chance I can, I'm flying there the rest of the time.

"I have no problem with this." She prattles on as we walk. "I'm used to the cold because I go barefoot and lightly dressed." Her nose scrunches, and she lets out a sneeze. "Oh...that was nothing, really, I'm not cold at all. I'll be going now, please take care!"

Wasn't that just the most useful conversation ever?

Snorunt is a funky Pokemon.

Much farther down the path, I come across another house with a Hiker inside. He's lost the HM for Rock Climb, but luckily, I had come across it before entering.

"I like your honesty, here, have this Icicle Plate, and you can keep the HM."

I glance at the writing engraved onto the plate. "The Original One breathed alone before the universe came."

Another half hour of slogging through, I come across a barely noticable cabin. I stop in, and the girl inside looked startled.

"...A person? A rare sight...thank you for visiting...a gift..."

Her hands trembled as she gave me a Spell Tag.

Finally, I reach a wall. Tim was standing at the top of the cliff, and he called down to me.

"Hey, what, you finally decided to come along now. Slooow! Way too slow. Listen, Donny," His voice got serious. "See how the rocks are all lumpy here?" He pointed to the trail on the side of the cliff. You can't climb those rocks until you get the Snowpoint Gym badge. Anyway, I'm off. Team Galactic! I'm coming for you!

So, I went and got the Gym badge. Wasn't terribly hard. Waffle was most valuable, and even Sheldon helped out quite a bit.

So, one quick climb later, I was at the top of the cliff and ready to enter into the lake front.

Tim was standing with the pink-haired Jupiter. "You're not getting away with this, Team Galactic!"

Jupiter crossed her arms. "Oh? Are you finished already? Your Pokemon aren't bad, but you're laughably weak. You honestly thought you could save the Pokemon of the lake? And become the Pokemon Champion? Dream on, little kid. But, eww, it's so cold here. Let's go back to the Veilstone HQ." She shoved past him and saw me standing there.

"Oh?" She raised her eyebrows. "Don't I know you? We met in Eterna City. Listen, Team Galactic is going to do something huge for everyone's sake. That's why you should keep out of Team Galactic's way. Don't come whining about poor Pokemon and other trivial junk like that. Don't waste your time coming to our HQ in Veilstone. Now, if you'll excuse me."

She left without another word.

Time walked up to stand next to me. I looked at him, and he looked away. "Yeah, that's right! I couldn't do anything against Team Galactic! That Pokemon called Uxie. It was suffering. I'm going to get tougher. It's not about winning or losing. That's not good enough. I have to be stronger. It's not enough to just want to be the most powerful Trainer ever...It takes honest effort. And a determined heart."

I stayed silent. There was nothing to add to that really. He walked off leaving me at the lake. As I looked over the clear water, I reflected on what he had said.

It really wasn't about winning or losing at this point. Galactic needed to be stopped. Whatever they were doing couldn't be good for everyone. Explosions, stealing Pokemon...what else would they do to meet their ends?

I need to investigate back at Veilstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment