Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Part 32: Distortion World

Cynthia and I looked around. "This place. Can you feel it? There are no Pokemon here at all."

Can't say I've ever actually FELT the presence of Pokemon, but she probably knows more than I do. No tall grass, that's a start.

"Time isn't flowing. And space isn't stable."

That can't be good.

"A world where the rules are broken. A space one might call the Distortion World."

Copyright Cynthia.

"Let's find Giratina. We need it to stop the spreading distortion at the Spear Pillar."

Suddenly the giant shadow flies overhead, giving a single cry as it passes.

Cynthia shuddered. "That was...Giratina! We have to hurry! If something's not done, the distortion will swallow not only our world, it will overwhelm the Distortion World."

Okay. So. Recap.

I start out just wanting to get to the final Gym, end up on a wild rollercoaster ride with the Galactic Grunts, and my Rapidash is stuck in the other world. Great. Stuck with a grass instead of a fire. An HM slave at that.

SIIIIIGGGGGH.

I walk forward, and see that this place is filled with floating platforms and weird sideways walkways. Cynthia was ahead, and she pointed to a spot on the floating platform. "It seems if you stand on certan, it moves."

I stepped on a darker spot on the floor, and the platform shifted downwards. Cynthia eyed her surroundings. "Will we get to see Giratina if we keep going down? In the Distortion World, are we really travelling downward?"

I left Cynthia to contemplate, and I explored a bit farther on. SUddenly, Mesprit showed up in front of me, and floated upwards.

------------------

This place is freakin' awesome. 3D graphics and walking sideways in this game is really cool. Josh told me that the Black and White towns use the 3d stuff too, so that should be interesting to see.

------------------

Cynthia caught up with me while I was exploring the platforms. "The Legend of Giratina has been all but forgotten but to a few. The legend of a world on the other side of ours. This world. Why does this world exist? Why is Giratina here all alone? There's so much that can't be explained, but we have things to do. Let's split up. We have to find the right way."

Split up? In a DISTORTION World? Don't think that would be the smartest thing to do, but oh well.

After another half hour of wandering around, and I ran into Cyrus. He seemed stunned, and just stood there, staring at his surroundings. He said to me in a quiet voice, "...The shadowy Pokemon isn't here. It abandoned me here, then disappeared somewhere farther down. Was it content merely to interfere with my plan?"

Most likely, considering you want to destroy the world.

"Incidentally," Cyrus continued, "do you understand the concept of genes?"

I blinked. Well, that was a bit out of left field. Nothing like standing in an empty void of floating platforms in a Distortion World and being asked about genes.

"Yes, I understand the basic concept of genes." I said.

Cyrus raised his eyebrows. "If it's true, you've impressed me. Genes can be considered the blueprints of all life-forms. That includes humans and Pokemon alike. Genes are contained in a DNA strand. A DNA strand consists of two chains of opposing characteristics in a spiral. If one of the chains were to be broken, the other could replicate it. One or the other cannot exist without its opposite."

He started to pace, and his voice became more urgent. "Do you understand where I am going with this? This is a bizarre world. Time doesn't flow. Space isn't stable. Only that shadowy Pokemon lives here. This world is the opposite of our world--our world I wish to change."

He gestulated wildly. "It is like the two chains composing a strand of DNA. The two worlds must be balancing each other to remain in existence. Without the one the other cannot exist. The shadowy Pokemon must play a role in keeping the worlds in balance."

He walked closer, a wild look in his eyes. "That is why it must have interfered and brought me here. The shadowy Pokemon must have made this bizarre world. That's why trying to change our world disturbed it and made it reveal itself. But that is all irrelivent. What matters is defeating that Pokemon and making this world disappear. I won't allow it to interfere with me again. With it gone, neither world will be able to revert to its original state." He turned, mumbling to himself.

I watched him go, a sad confused state of a man.

There was a strange puzzle with boulders and pushing them into pits. Yeah, I don't get it either. Rite of Passage I guess, I dunno.

"I understand they can keep balance against either Palkia or Dialga." Cynthia came up behind me. "Does it mean they can't do that with Giratina? But, this is no time for idle chitchat."

We traveled downwards more, and Cynthia pointed. "Giratina is up ahead."

Suddenly Cyrus came out of nowhere and Cynthia startled. "So...you were already here. Why do you seek to change the world? If you hate our world, you should just go off somewhere alone. Find somewhere where you can live without seeing others."

Cyrus huffed. "Why should I run and hide from the world and have to wait quietly? My aim is to rid our world of the vague and incomplete thing we call spirit. My aim is to rid our world of the vague and incomplete thing we call spirit. By freeing ourselves of that, our world can be made complete. That is my justice! No one can interfere!"

I bring out a Pokeball, and do a dramatic pose. Cyrus narrowed his eyes. "I won't lose! Not to that shadowy Pokemon! Not in any worthless world!

He brought out a Pokeball and threw it out.

One struggling fight later and Cyrus knelt to the floor, defeated. "I won't accept this! This can't be! Not after all the sacrifices we've made to get this far! What of my new world?! Of my new galaxy?! Was this all a dream to be swept away by your reality?"

I ignored him, going straight for Giratina. He wasn't too terrible, I caught him on my second Dusk Ball.

Cynthia appeared once more. I hadn't seen her all through the Giratina fight. "Giratina seems to have understood us! That Pokemon...you captured it?!"

Cyrus glared at me. "Your doing so means this irrational world will remain in existence! Does that make it impossible for me to create a new world? Even if I made new Red Chains, the new world can't be made! Why?! What compels you to protect the two worlds? Is spirit, a vague and incomplete thing, so important to you?!"

Cynthia put a hand on his shoulder sympathetically. "...The places we are born. The time we spend living. The languages we speak. We are all different. But the presence of Pokemon unites us. We share our lives with our Pokemon, and our happiness grows as we all become greater than we were alone. That is why we can battle and trade with anyone we choose."

"SILENCE!" Cyrus screamed. "Enough of your blathering. That's how you justify spirit as something worthwile?! That is merely humans hoping, deluding themselves that they are happy and safe! The emotions rolling inside me. Rage, hatred, frustration. These ugly emotions arise because of my own incomplete spirit! Enough. We will never see eye to eye. This, I promise you. I will break the secrets of the world. With that knowledge, I will create my complete and perfect world. One day, you will awaken to a world of my creation. A world without spirit." Cyrus turned and walked away.

He seems to do that alot.

Cynthia shook her head. "Since there is sadness, we can feel joy. When there is anger, compassion is born. Let's go back home. The portal where Giratina was will take us home. Giratina was written in legend as being on the other side of our world. It stands to reason that it has a link to the other side."

Cyntha and I appeared near a wall, and in grass and flowers. Cynthia's eyes widened. "This place?! It's the Sendoff Spring...it's said to somehow lead to the greatest beyond. And Giratina was said to live in a world on the opposite side of ours. Oh! I'm sincerly sorry! It's very rude of me! Donny, you're incredible! You really are a fantastic Trainer! Thank you so much! On behalf of all of Sinnoh!" She grinned. "Oh! You have to go tell Prof. Rowan! He was very worried about you. You should visit him at his lab.

I caught my breath for a few minutes, just enjoying the quiet of the air, and the cool breeze on my face. The Distortion World had been one unsettling even after another. I had caught a mythical Pokemon, and my team had done well. We had also stopped the world from being taken over by a psychopathic man. Rowan did need to be told, though.

Oswald flew me to Sandgem town, and I walked into the lab. Rowan and Dawn rushed over to me and had me sit down.

"Donny! You've come back!" Rowan cried happily. "You leave me speechless! You've done it! You really have done it! Never has my heart pounded this hard for so long in my 60 years of living!"

Dawn patted the Professor's shoulder. "He did alot of checking up after you left. He was really worried about you, Donny. He contacted acquantances looking for help, and..." She gave me a big hug. "I'm glad to see you safe! Welcome back!"

Rowan lifted a finger. "Oh, yes, there was something I had to tell you. The three Pokemon of the lakes appear to have returned to their homes. So tell me. How are things going for you? The Pokedex? Ah, a total of 168! And the number of badges? Well! You've got seven already! That only leaves Sunyshore's Gym. Hm! You've come this far. Why not obtain Sunyshore's Badge? And why not challenge the Pokemon league? That will broaden your horizons further than ever before. Not to mention the opportunities to meet even more Pokemon."

Whew, let's head to Sunyshore!

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe I hadn't checked this text Lp until now. I won't be making a 13 pages long comment, but I'll just let you know seeing your take on the game written this way is super entertaining! Love how you show just how cheesy the game's plot is in such a humorous manner. Good Job ;D

    Now off to read it all from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete